Institution: University of Valencia; Spain
Laboratory/Department: Neurological Impairment
Position: Associate Professor of Histology and Group leader Research in Neuroscience
Research topic: Experience in the study of mechanisms leading to hepatic encephalopathy (HE) using animal models, in the study of minimal hepatic encephalopathy (MHE) in cirrhotic patients and in the search of peripheral and image biomarkers for MHE:
- Characterization of cognitive, neuropsychological and cerebral alterations in patients with minimal hepatic encephalopathy with mild cognitive impairment,
- Characterize alterations in inflammation, neuroinflammation, function and brain structure associated with the appearance of minimal hepatic encephalopathy (MHE).
Methodologies: Cognitive impairment, psychometric tests, motor coordination, mental processing speed, magnetic resonance, free radicals, nitrotyrosine.
3 significant publications:
- C Montoliu, A Urios, C Forn, J García-Panach, C Avila, C Gimenez-Garzó, A Wassel, MA. Serra, R Giner-Durán, O, Gonzalez, R Aliaga, V Belloch, and V Felipo. Reduced white matter microstrutural integrity correlates with cognitive deficits in minimal hepatic encephalopathy. GUT 2013; 63:1028-30..
- Urios A, Mangas-Losada A, Gimenez-Garzó C, González-López O, Giner-Durán R, Serra MA, Noe E, Felipo V, Montoliu C. Altered postural control and stability in cirrhotic patients with minimal hepatic encephalopathy correlate with cognitive deficits. Liver Int. 2016 Dec 18. doi: 10.1111/liv.13345. PMID: 27988985 (in press)
- Giménez-Garzó C, Garcés JJ, Urios A, Mangas-Losada A, García-García R, González-López O, Giner-Durán R, Escudero-García D, Serra MA, Soria E, Felipo V, Montoliu C. The PHES battery does not detect all cirrhotic patients with early neurological deficits, which are different in different patients. PLoS One. 2017; 12(2):e0171211.
Participation in the EMN-Online teaching:
- S1 – Methodologies
- S2 – Functional and Cognitive Anatomy
Internal tutors in the University:
- S1 – Experimental approaches to neuropathology
- S2 – Neuropharmacology
- S3 – Integrative physiology
- S4 – Pharmaceutical development